6/20/11

Motivational Monday -- Finding Peace -- A lesson from my Dad

Lost jobs, rising gas and groceries prices, natural calamities, broken homes, moral decline, political unrest and rumors of war.  These and many more are all are things that we are experiencing as a people.  Where can we possibly turn for peace?

The Prince of Peace said in John 14:27: “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”

Can we really find peace while the world is in chaos all around us?

A couple of weeks ago my husband was hurt in an ATV accident.  He fractured his L2 vertebrae and has to wear a body brace (turtle shell) for at least 3 months.  Because of this he is off of work for the summer.  This has been a strain on our family as you can imagine.

Yesterday was Father's Day and we had my married son and his wife over and after dinner we were playing a game.  There was laughing, smiling, and an awesome feeling in the home.  It was a great day.  My husband commented that you can find happiness and peace in the small things.  He found so much peace and contentment in a simple evening at home with the family.

Speaking of Father's Day, my Dad taught me about finding peace.

Dad was a kind, faithful, reserved, knowledgeable and hard working sort of man.  It's been almost 18 years since my Dad passed away.  But his memory and lessons taught me still live on.  He grew up on a small farm in southern Colorado in a 2 room home.  They lived off of the land, rode the horses to school and made do with what they had.  He grew up during the depression, fought in World War II in the pacific islands, raised 8 children, and was an example to many.



The one thing that I'd like to point today about Dad, was that he rarely complained.  We lived a simple farm life, we didn't have much, but I never heard him complaining nor coveting what we didn't have.  Dad looked for the good in situations and people.  This was his Faith.  Faith is an action word and my dad personified faith.  Always working towards a righteous goal with belief and hope in his heart.  Never failing to believe that he couldn't make things work, make them better, make himself and us better.  I rarely saw a hint of discouragement or grief in my Dad.  It was always Faith.

Faith in the Prince of Peace.

My dad had a very strong and active faith in his Savior, Jesus Christ.  I believe that it was through Jesus and His Spirit that my dad found the peace and comfort that he needed in those hard times.  The peace that helped him to stay strong and endure to the end.

Today I will remember my Dad and remember to look to my Savior for needed peace. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...